Ashville, North Carolina
In a city celebrated as a tourist destination and surrounded by the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Asheville YAVs will engage in transformative mission, living the Gospel by building relationships and creating community with people on the margins experiencing desperate need.
Volunteers serve as full-time workers in community-based ministries and non-profit organizations. While the specific placement opportunities may vary from year to year, the focus of each placement is relationship-building with people on the street, those newly placed in housing, those who are hungry, sick, and children with a variety of needs.
Some possible placements include:
- Work with the Community of the BeLoved in a flexible ministry meeting needs of friends on the street
- Work with a local food bank that feeds hungry people
- Work with after school programs for children and youth
- Work with organizations that support women in the wake of trauma and abuse
- Work with congregations (Methodist, Episcopal, UCC, Presbyterian, non-denominational) who are present with a marvelous mix of people on the street, from the wider community, who are hungry, need clothing, temporary respite to recover from illness, community, worship, and art.