131 Big Valley Street
Boone, North Carolina 28607
Director of Youth & College Ministry – Full Time
Primary Purpose: To serve Jesus Christ and his church by developing, coordinating, and administering an effective, comprehensive, and fruitful ministry to the middle school, senior high school, and college students of the church. This person will provide leadership to and supervision of those involved in the ministry in concert with the vision of First Presbyterian Church: “Equipping ordinary people to live extraordinary lives in Christ.”
Supervision: The Director of Youth & College Ministry will be supervised by the Pastor and will report directly to him, and to the Session.
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college preferred, or an educational background deemed equivalent. Bible training in a formal or informal capacity is desired.
Experience: Professional experience in church youth ministry as confirmed by references.
Candidate must subscribe to the essentials of the PC(USA).
Relational Skills: Strong interpersonal skills are required for this position including:
- The ability to listen, show understanding, and empathy.
- The ability to relate to and exhibit a genuine interest in youth and their families.
- Being respectful, non-judgmental, approachable, available, and interested in youth and their families.
- Able to work cooperatively with other staff and volunteer leaders.
- The ability to initiate and maintain open and frequent communication with parents.
- A demonstrated ability to organize, delegate, and follow up with volunteers.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities - Youth Ministry:
- To Grow the vision for the Youth Ministry, “Reaching And Connecting Through Christ’s Love One Person At A Time” RACTCLOPAAT
- Develop and lead programs according to the vision and purpose of the Youth Ministry
- Recruit and train volunteer leaders, and parents to assist in ministry.
- Build and maintain relationships with youth both churched and unchurched
- Share the vision with youth parents and families so they understand the purpose of the Youth Ministry.
- Network with other youth workers in the community.
- Involve students in the ministry of the church as a whole, supporting and participating in the church’s vision, worship services, and activities.
- Regularly meet with the Youth Ministry Planning Team to discuss goals, accomplishments, prayers, and praises. Provide monthly reports to the Christian Education Committee.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities - College Ministry:
- Oversee college ministry at FPC Boone including local college students as well as FPC youth alumni.
- Facilitate college programing including but not limited to a weekly Bible Study, Adopt a College Student program, and outreach opportunities.
- Oversee College Sunday School – recruiting and training volunteers as needed.
- Serve as a liaison to the Presbyterian Episcopal College Ministry at Appalachian State University.
- Coordinate and plan events and programming in consultation with the College Ministry Planning Team as needed.
Review of Applications will begin Monday, May 15, 2017. If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to our Chairperson, Mrs. Heather Langdon - firstname.lastname@example.org
Church-Based Minister (ministry meets in a church),
Director of Congregational Ministry (non-ordained ministry to college students of a particular congregation)